From:
Shirley Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:23:42 -0800
I have had a bit of experience with ferrets and airplanes.

First of all, I have never had a negative experience whether the ferrets
traveled in the animal section of baggage or in the cabin with me, which
is, by far, the preferred way.  They seem unphased by the whole ordeal and
always emerge with no negative signs.

There is a carrier that is suitable for cabin transportation, called
Sherpa, which is soft sided with a heavy nylon type 'netting' that allows
for ventilation.  It is also impervious to curious fingers as there are
no bars or other openings.  I have two suggestions if you use this type
of transport.  One, the thing tends to collapse in the middle.  I use a
wooden dowel in the top to prevent this.  Also, my guys can open the
zippers from the inside, so it is a good idea to use a clip or some other
sort of security to insure that you don't have your kids getting lose on
the airplane.

The worst problem, in my experience, is with the airlines themselves.  Take
all of this with a grain because some of my data is up to four years old.
I found that TWA and United told me one thing and did another, costing me
various amounts of money and last minute travel changes.  Email me if you
want the whole rotten story.  However, I did pursue the problems and at
least recovered the money from them - a real effort of persistence.  At
present I live in Central America and travel to and from the States at
least once a year.  The only airline I have found from my particular
location that allows me to take the kids in the cabin is Delta.  Being a
little paranoid from past experience, I always make the identity of my
"pet in cabin" clear by spelling "ferret", so as not to be confused with
"parrot".  In addition, I ask the ticket agent to look up the rule number
which spells out the types of pets allowed.  I take names in the hope
that I won't have to ka.  Perhaps other carriers in other locations have
different rules.  That I don't know.

When I settle down from traveling, I am going to take up the cause of
'ferrets rights' on the airlines.  Can you imagine?  At one time, one
airline permitted pot bellied pigs in the cabin but not ferrets!  Have
you ever smelled a pot bellied pig that was uptight?

If you have had positive or negative experience in this line, I would sure
like to hear of them.

Dooks to all,
Shirley, Choobie and Dunkin"