From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:52:13 EST
My ferret enjoyed my little decorative fountain so much, but I ran into
a bit of a problem.  In a matter of two days... the water became well...
icky, even when put on high so that the water constantly moved.  I tried
putting in fresh water daily, yet the "slimy" stuff grew back onto things
when you felt it.  In a matter of a week the tubes had ickier stuff
growing.  So then I tried cleaning it out with bleach here and there,
but........... still it didn't help much.

So then I thought ok, I just can't have the ferts drinking and playing in
this stuff.  I put some vinegar in the water so they wouldn't drink it, and
it literally ate all the rubber parts out.  All those soakings in bleach to
clean it, etc....and it never got damaged, but some drops of vinegar did
the poor thing in.  Now....i have no fountain.

ok ok back to the problem.  I have this idea that when we get a new home,
and the ferts have their own room, I'd love to have a fountain in there
for them to play in and drink out of.  But how?  How do I keep the water
safe from growing organisms?  sigh.  Is there anyway to do this you think?
or is this a pipe dream, and should I stick to tubs of water for them?

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: