From:
Kate Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:00:45 -0600
I am a veterinarian and have mostly lurked on the ferret list for approx.
8 months or so.  I'm not sure why people believe there to be a lack of
ferret knowledgeable vets.  I can see perhaps if you are not located near
enough to a big city, but here in the Chicagoland area there are alot of
vets who see ferrets and other so-called "exotic" animals.  I try to attend
as many continuing educational seminars on ferrets and other critters as I
can and there are always lots of vets at these seminars - so there must be
quite a few ferret-knowledgeable vets out there... Vets do not advertise
extensively (we are taught this in vet school) - so it may be hard to
find one this way, but if you call around to vets and ask if they are
ferret-knowledgeable, and also check with any friends that have ferrets
(to see who they use), I would think you could find someone.  Maybe the
ferret list should have (or maybe it does have) a list (unendorsed of
course) where vets could add their name and hospital info if they see
ferrets?  Just my .02

K. Ball