From:
Perro Loco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:09:18 -0600
>Dear Crazy Dog,
>
>I may be of some help concerning sailing with ferrets.  I have been in
>Central America, aboard my sailboat, for 3 1/2 years.  My two boys sailed
>with me from Florida and continue to thrive aboard the boat.  My longest
>passage has been for eight days - nothing like the voyage you are
>contemplating.
>
>Nevertheless, here is what works for me.
>
>First of all, the ferrets are always caged when we are underway unless I
>am below to keep an eye on them.  The wooden sole gives them no traction
>when the boat is pitching and rolling, and I worry that they will want to
>stick their little heads (and bodies) into the cockpit just when that's
>the last thing I can pay attention to.  I have their rather roomy cage
>(with hammock and tied down potty box) secured to one of the setee bunks.
>
>I haven't seen any signs of seasickness, although a friend who made a
>rather rough passage with me says she cleaned up a bit of upchuck from
>one of them.  Otherwise, they have eaten about the same amount of food as
>usual.
>
>The dripping water bottle was initially a problem - solved by mounting it
>over a clip-on food dish lined with paper towels.  Sure saves a lot of wet
>and uncomfortable bedding!
>
>I also use paper towels in the litter box as disposal at sea is pretty
>easy.  I realize you have limited room on a small boat (mine is only 32'),
>but litter would be a horrible mess, in my opinion.
>
>I had to worry about high temperatures, you will have to worry about low
>ones?  Do you have a way to keep the girls warm if it gets really cold?
>
>I guess the most difficult thing is seeing that they have enough time out
>of the cage.  If you are single handing, this could be a real problem.  I
>have usually had one crew, which makes things a little easier.  I suppose
>you will just have to figure out how that works for you.
>
>I've had no trouble with getting my boys into any of the Central American
>countries, but I don't know about places along your travels.
>
>The sum of what I have to say is that this is certainly a possible thing.
>If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to hear from
>you.  Good luck in your travels.
>
>Shirley

Shirley,
It seems that you too have had your share of adventures... I am actively
looking for someone who is as crazy (if you'll pardon to pun on my nick)
as I am as crew on this voyage.  Actually, none of the crossings should
be more than 6 - 8 days depending on weather... rough distances for each
crossing are all about the same as the distance from Duluth to Sault St.
Marie (450+ nautical miles, max.)  I am intent on making an onboard weezul
den in one of the very spacious quarter berth areas so the girls will have
a place to feel comfortable and are out of the way if need be.

I was / am quite concerned with seasickness... but you've answered my
questions.  Know any weezul remedies if such occurs?  I like your idea of
paper towel for litter.  How about newspaper?  Or is that too "inky" and
therefore potentially toxic?

Heat shouldn't be a problem... especially at the time of year I'm planning
on traveling... but as a Great Lakes & Pacific Ocean sailor... I do have a
heater onboard, as well as a stove and a backup Primus unit.  In a boat the
size of the S/V Marsha Edmonds (6.5m) I contemplate that my biggest single
problem is carrying adequate water... Nefi is a snorkeler and likes her
intermittent little "showers" - Queens are so tidy, you know; especially
Egyptian ones.  The girls also have a very nice little home made polypro
"sleeping bag" which is easy to keep clean and very easy to dry.  A hammock
would be a cool idea on a boat... currently they sleep in my sock drawer or
in bed with me... usually wake me up a half hour before dawn by licking the
insides of my ears or nibbling on my feet.  Oh, the joys of being owned by
weezuls!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragement... considering that
you have lots of experience sailing with your boys... your' comments were
the sort I had hoped to receive.  Please stay in touch... and any further
advice or suggestion will be most appreciated.

Fair Winds & Smooth Sailing,
Perro Loco
El Capitan, S/V Marsha Edmonds

"No Cerveza, No Trabajo"