From:
Laura Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:56:12 -0800
Hi!

I posted a message about an odd bald spot behind my ferret's ear a few days
ago on the fml.  Clint is a 3 1/2 year old neutered sable male and has been
healthy and active since we adopted him and Arnold from a shelter in Plano,
Tx in 1998.  We noticed an bald spot behind his right ear last week, about
dime sized.  There were no scratches or irritation on the skin to suggest
it being scraped off or something.  Upon closer examination, I found his
belly hair to be thinning quite a bit, although his tail looks normal.
Actually he seemed fluffier this fall than usual.

I have also noticed some straining when he urinates, but he still has a
normal urine flow.  He eats and plays like usual, maybe sleeps a little
more, but he's always been a more laid-back ferret that will curl up and
doze if there isn't anything interesting to do.

I am going to make him an appt.  with the vet, but she doesn't do adrenal
surgeries if that is what he needs.  Does anyone know of any good ferret
vets in the Oklahoma City/central Oklahoma area that have quite a bit of
experience with adrenal surgeries?  Do any vets near central OK do the new
cryosurgical technique and how successful is it/is it better than
traditional surgery?

I would also like to know what to expect for the cost and length of the
surgery, typical recovery times and survival rates, and anything special
I can do to make Clint's recovery quicker if he has to have surgery.  I
would appreciate any info, and you can email me directly since I don't
always have time to check all the mailing lists.

Thanks!
Laura
And Arnold, Clint and Sophie, too!