From:
Megan McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:34:20 -0500
Hi all!

Doug's letter about his ferret, when outside, wanting to get right back in,
reminds me of my little girl Sammi.  She's as contrary as can be - when
she's in, she wants to go out, but when she's out, she wants to get in!
I figured something out, though, Doug (and anyone who has a contrary,
house-bound ferret...:) - she doesn't want to *go* in, she just wants to
know she *can* go in!  If I close the door, she runs and scratches to get
in, but if I prop it open, she's much more relaxed about looking around
outside.  I guess she just wants to know she can run home if she needs to
(and if there is a sudden loud noise outside, she heads straight for the
door!).  You might want to try propping the door open and just letting Tuck
mosey in and out (on his leash, with you, of course) while he gets comfy
with the idea.

And frankly, not all ferrets are outdoor animals.  My lovely Anastasia used
to *hate* being outside - it was her main job to get Under something and
Stay There...:)  Which was a shame, as she was a sweet ferret with a good
nature, and I'd have loved to take her around the neighborhood to spread
a little ferret goodwill - but she'd have hated it...:)

As for a second ferret, I have to say I'm a fan of making sure ferrets have
ferrety playmates.  Keep in mind that there are sometimes introduction
problems - they may not get along at first, and you may have to work with
them for a while before they do.  But if it's within your means to do so,
and you have the time, you might want to look into getting a friend for
Tuck.

Have fun in the leaves!
Megan and the Autumnal Two:
Lexie ("Forget the leaves - where's the dirt!")
Sammi ("So many wonderful smells!")