From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:49:47 -0400
I'd like an opinion on crossing back on a line.  Is two generations okay
or should it be more?  In a direct line, it should be 5 or more, but in
an indirect line is it okay?

I was going over pedigrees of my former stock with their new owner, and the
breeder she wants to work with.  There are relatives in the family tree.

I have a jill who is sister to another breeders hob.  Both of these animals
were crossed in unrelated matches, and so have had the next generation
of kits crossed in unrelated matches.  Can the cousins from these third
generations be crossed back with no major consequences?

We are looking for disposition rather than color.  The crosses in one line
have remained concentrated on one color.  The crosses in my line were for
size and disposition.

KG