From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:21:06 EDT
Greetings all!

BOY!  I can certainly sympathize as well as relate to what you are going
through.  I have the same trouble with my oldest who is sick.

I actually tracked down a compounding pharmacy with the help of my Vet.
They mixed up the pediapred with my choice of flavors.  Previously Winnie
had taken a liking to cherry but apparently not the same taste as before
because she is having the same repulsed, grimacing, hacking and pawing
reaction.  I had tried mixing it wih some ferretone at one poing but
without much of a better reaction.  Not sure what else is safe to mix it
with or what other flavors might be more palitable as the medecine it's
self is so dam overpowering and nasty.

I would recommend contacting your vet to find a compounding pharmacy who
will mix up a batch for you and experiment with the added flavors they have
or are willing to order for you.  If you add anything else, it can cause
the specific gravity of the medication to change as well as the ph and if
you add something with sugar, that will defeat the whole purpose of the
medication obviously.

If you do find something that your little one is more agreeable with,
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post it on the FML as I would love to know what it
is so I can try it with Winnie.

Good luck!
Good Health to you and yours!!!

[Moderator's note: I've given Pediapred to several ferrets.  None hated
it, though none particularly loved it either.  A lick of Ferretone on the
syringe might have helped too, though.  BIG]