From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:08:12 EDT
I had a large mast cell type tumor removed from one of my ferrets using
laser surgery a couple years ago.  In all honesty, I think she was in more
pain than if it had been done "the old fashioned way".  Now I am certainly
not discrediting this type of innovation.  But, I would certainly weigh
the ups and downs before electing to use it again.  There are great uses
for it, I just think some vets are using it more than they need to because
it's "new".

Ear mites can be easily transmitted through casual contact with bedding,
toys or carpeting.  I personally treat my crew every few months for mites
on a prophylactic basis.  I use a solution of 1:10 Ivermectin and mineral
oil.  I flood the ear canal, whatever the Ivermectin doesn't kill, the oil
will drown according to my vet.  Ask your vet about using Ivermectin, it's
not really an OTC solution.

Ear sucking is often done by younger ferrets who miss nursing or were
weaned too early.  Even some older ferrets do it.  As long as the "suckee"
doesn't mind, don't worry about it.  At 12 weeks, your ferret is not very
likely at risk for adrenal gland problems.  My guess is that your Spike
needs one or two more vaccinations (his last distemper and a rabies shot),
so ask the vet while you are there, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I want to clarify that much of our shelter income is made by ferret
sitting.  I almost always have a visitor or two in the house.  I ask that
all sitting and adoption fee checks be made out directly to our vet.  The
rest of the expenses are out of pocket.  Because Fuzztek North is now
accepting only ADV+ and terminally ill ferrets with minimal life
expectancy, there is no income being generated there, so we are trying our
best to cover vet expenses for both locations out of income generated by
Fuzztek Central.  Thank goodness we have an understanding vet!

Anne