From:
Reg & Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:11:36 +0900
Hi there.  Would like to share a bit of our experience with ferrets in the
military.  We are AF and have had ferrets for over seven years (however
have since lost both our babies and miss them terribly!)

The Army seems to be more understanding with ferrets we've found in our
research, but if you are persistent things can be accomplished.  At our
first duty station once we had gotten our first fuzzy we were living
off-base and didn't pursue the issue of getting her into base housing.
Once we moved to TX we were off base at first and then moved on.  We had
to write a letter stating the reasons we should be let on base with the
ferrets and turn it into one of the head people (check with housing to
see who that would be) and were grated approval.

As for overseas, we are currently in Japan and brought our second fuzzy
with us, who we had to help cross the bridge in July---she was little over
seven.  She traveled on the plane with us in cabin until Japan where she
was placed in a special compartment that is temperature controlled and
pressurized and all just like the cabin for the short hop to the final
destination.  No problem getting her on base either.  Just be sure to have
a current vaccination and health certificate that has been stamped (you
can check with your vet on this).  If you are using the base vet they know
exactly what is needed.  If you use a civilian vet the health certificate
must be stamped by the USDA.

Hope all this helps.