Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:32:56 -0500
I've meant to send something sooner, but had to catch up on stuff.  No, it
wasn't the late evenings at the pub; besides, everyone knows it's not the
late evenings but the early mornings which cause the trouble.

As a veteran of a couple dozen scientific meetings, scores of
photojournalism seminars, and countless ferret events, I have to say I
was quite surprised at the professionalism and smoothness characterized
by Ferrets 2000.  This was not an event done on the cheap; neither in
terms of cost of time or material.  As I said, very professionally done.

All credit goes to the Ferret Aid Society, especially the leadership of
Randy (who has really cool hair).  Certainly there were others who
participated in the organization and execution of the event, but I think
a tone was set by the leadership, and that tone was clearly visible,
enhancing the experience for all.  I want to thank Paige for all her help,
the use of the overhead and transportation to and from the airport.  You
made my experience as a speaker a positive one.  Thank you.  I thank the
other members of the Ferret Aid Society, as nameless as you are, for all
your hard work and dedication.  A leader is only as good as the membership
that supports them, and you have shown great courage and dedication to
support this event.  Organizations like the Ferret Aid Society are few and
far between.  You do a service to us all.

What many FMLers may not know is that both Randy and Paige lost beloved
ferrets during Ferrets 2000, yet remained on task.  It was quite evident
that both felt a deep loss.  It was also quite touching to see the
outpouring of support when others heard the bad news.  I will always
remember Phoenix climbing into my shirt like she always belonged there.
My sincere and deepest condolences to both of you (and to TLE as well).

I also want to thank the other speakers (others have already discussed
them in great detail, so I will defer).  I thought all did a marvelous job.
What was really interesting to me was that if you excluded the data and
just listened to the basic message of the Saturday afternoon speakers
(alas, I was unable to attend most of the Sunday presentations), you would
have learned:
1. Ferrets are ferrets, not dogs or cats.
2. Ferrets need nutritional, medical and human care taking which reflect
   their basic needs as a species.
3. Many of those needs are still unknown and require research.
4. Until those needs are known, we must remain open minded to possible
   solutions.
5. If you think ECE was bad, just wait until ADV hits your shelter (the
   plague is coming).

I would like to thank Dr. Karen Purcell, who, even though not a speaker,
greatly contributed to several discussions, offering support and
clarification as needed.  Those of you with an interest in ferret
veterinary care would do well to buy a copy of her book; it is truly
excellent, having been reviewed by Drs.  Williams and Brown.  Pleasing
both would not have been an easy task, I am sure.

Bill Gruber did an excellent job as moderator during the conference, even
though he apparently took great pleasure in teasing me.  Seriously, Bill's
demeanor set the tone for each of the speakers, turing people with
differing points of view into polite and courteous presenters.  His sense
of fun spread like an infection through the audience, making each speaker's
task all the more simple.  Great job, Bill.

Finally, the best speakers in the world cannot provide information if the
audience is not receptive.  When I was told the length of time allotted to
each speaker, I was concerned that it would extend past the audience's
ability to sit and listen.  Even major presentations in scientific meetings
are limited to a couple of hours per seminar, with 15 to 20 minutes per
speaker.  I spent an hour and 45 minutes talking about ferrets, and Dr.
Williams nearly 3 hours!  Think about that for a moment.  It is clear to me
that there is such a desire for good information that people are willing to
spend hundreds of dollars and fight tired butt just to hear something that
might help their ferrets.  Regardless of the work and talent involved on
the organizational and presentation levels, the people who paid the big
bucks to attend were who really made Ferrets 2000 such a success.  It was
the countless people who just wanted to say hello, or poke some fun at my
shirts, or needed to ask a question, that made this such an exciting and
worthwhile event.  Thank you all.

Bob C and 15 Mo' Brightly Clad and Sleep Deprived Ferts