From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:17:46 -0400
Our best results with the gentlest ferrets imaginable -- who even let the
vets do all sorts of things to them with no problem worse than squirming --
is to use times-out.  The vets always say that our guys are the best
behaved ferrets they see; we do nothing that will hurt them an they respond
in kind with trust over time.

Anonymous wrote about ferrets and not being able to afford vet care.
Tricky situation.  Tricky for replies, too; a part of me wants to just be
sentimental but the practical side looks at the fact that four of our
happily playing guys (of seven total) would have been prematurely dead
without medical care; instead they are here to kiss, cuddle and romp.  Yes,
love is essential, but medical care so very, very often makes the entire
difference between life and death.  Ferrets are tough but only with help.
We were there ourselves just again recently, with Ashling.  Medical care
can also make all the difference in quality of life, as is happening with
Meeteetse.  It appears that what this person needs is a way to provide love
while not having to handle the medical costs, but with still providing the
medical care that has been lacking.  Let's face facts, love means a huge
amount, but if death results from lack of medical care when it didn't need
to happen (which may or may not have been the case in this situation, but
has happened some times in the past in other's posts) then was the ferret
much helped?  Perhaps if a division of costs can be found (medical care
from one and day-today from another) then the ferrets would be optimally
helped, but if that can't be arranged then being a short term way-station
for (only a few) ferrets who won't stay there may be an alternative.  In
the future if it comes down between getting a ferret care by talking with
someone who doesn't like you, or not getting a ferret care to avoid that
discomfort, please, make the phone call.  Sadly, there always are more
ferrets out there than anyone can help, and to provide decent care it
becomes necessary to set limits; otherwise everyone risks suffering badly
rather than being helped.  It would be great if John Lennon were right
about love being all one needs; it's the main thing but it still can't
create health cures alone.

This may or may not help (but since you say you have money woes it should
help a LOT): we have had times when funds were very thin and there is
NOTHING as useful as a budget book.  Just knowing WHERE the money is going
allows better control of funds, and having to note down every expense and
put in every receipt gives a marvelous degree of fiscal wisdom.  It's not a
pleasant chore, but it should NOT be a pleasant chore because that
distastefulness actually helps with self-control as you limit your work by
spending less.  DO keep 1% to 2% aside as independent fun money for each
adult since that provides pleasure without work and takes away any spending
frustrations.  DO note what you are saving since that feels very good.
We've been poor, and we've imposed a very poor lifestyle on ourselves later
on to save at rapid rates for special needs like paying off the mortgage
early or helping family.  Yes, Steve and I each do know well what it like
to be hungry, to lack a bed to sleep in, and when young I had malnutrition
to put myself through college which was more important to me than food.
There is nothing as fine as having a budget book combined with a fun money
accounts; they work wonders.