Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:30:53 -0000
From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
I posted recently to introduce my new kid, Lector.  He was rescued from a
reptile shop where he had been left because of his "vicious" tendencies
and as he was proving hard to re-home he was about to become snake food.

When I first got him home, about two week ago, he proved a bit of a hand
full but it was clear from the start that he very much wanted to play out
but was scared to leave his cage.  On the occasions he did leave his cage
he would snap at anything that moved - the solution- don't move.  He is
now confident that no one is going to attack him so he no longer snaps at
moving objects (and I no longer have to sit motionless).  It became clear
the reprimanding him was never going to work, it just scared him and made
him bite, as did any form of sudden movement.  It became equally clear that
his play time was important to him as were some of his favourite treats.
So when he plays out and is good (I.e.  lets me pick him up and play with
him) he gets treats.  As soon as he bites he his removed slowly and calmly
from what ever limb he has attched himself (despite the fact it hurts) by
unlocking his jaw or by using bitter spray and he is put back to bed and
does not come out again until he has had a good sleep and therefore does
not associate each play session with the next, therefore the punishment
works as do the treats.

Reprimanding ferrets in an aggressive way sometimes just doesn't work.

Lector has gone from being a violent individual who would not spend
more than five minutes playing out before biting to a much more gentle
individual who spends upwards of an hour playing out before he gets over
excited.  I can now play with him with reduced fear (but still caution)
and all this in two weeks when is supposed violent attitude would have
seen snake meat made of him before Christmas.

If punishment doesn't work, try reward.  What ever you do don't be
aggressive and if that is not possible then think of re-homing to
somewhere more suited to Daisy.

Wayne, Lector, Lots.