Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:53:26 -0400
From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
There has been a lot of discussion lately about some specific changes that
could be made to how ferret shows operate.  The goal is to make shows "more
fair" and to discourage poor breeding practices.

I hereby challenge all show sanctioning organizations to consider the
following issues, discuss them with your members and boards, and to let
us (the FML) know what decisions you make and why you make them.

It is not for me (who has NO direct affiliation with any show sanctioning
organization) or any FMLer to determine what policies such an organization
follows, but I do think we have the right to ask these organizations to
consider these important issues.

ISSUE ONE: Should the number of entries by one exhibitor be limited, by
ring or in total?  Will this increase fairness to smaller exhibitors?
Would it make shows less likely to run behind schedule?

ISSUE TWO: Should efforts be made to decrease emphasis on "fancy" colors
that are linked to genetic defects, specifically blazes, pandas, and other
colors linked to Waardensburg syndrome?  (Note I do not want to restart the
discussion on deafness as defect.  In my mind it clearly is.  But that does
not mean deaf ferrets are not deserving of loving homes.  I have a deaf
blaze--I knew when I got him he was likely to be deaf, and I also knew the
possible health and behavioral ramifications.)

ISSUE THREE: Is there a way to define colors that allows as much inclusion
as possible without having to define special colors that may favor certain
breeders?  Is warm or cool tinted undercoats a reason to score a ferret
higher or lower?

I hope all those directly associated with setting show policies will
seriously consider and discuss these issues.  Batting them back and forth
on the FML is all very good, but it is up to those with the power and
authority to determine what is the right thing to do.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH