Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:06:52 -0400
From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Don't know about the "fishy" smell, but all of a sudden Rocki had the most
horrible smelling diarrheas and pees you could imagine.  My entire house
stunk, after one poop.  I immediately called my vet who was in surgery at
the time and would not be able to see Rocki for about 6 hours.  We were in
the office waiting as soon as the vet finished his surgeries.  In those 6
hours I could visually see Rocki going "downhill".

After the thorough exam, the vet took x-rays and saw a growth that was
pushing on Rocki's stomach.  Knowing that Rocki is on Lupron for adrenal,
he figured it was the adrenal growing again.  ( He has just recently become
our vet, as we moved from Puerto Rico quite recently).  He said that he
would have to do an exploratory, and that if he didn't he felt that Rocki
would be dead by morning.  DO it I said, and do what ever is necessary.

Well the growth turned out to be a cancerous kidney, which was removed and
also a small tumor on Rocki's intestine.  The adrenal was not removed as it
turned out to be the right side and encased in the vena cava, but didn't
look bad.  So I guess you might say Rocki was is renal failure.

This type of surgery at age 6 1/2 is not an easy thing, but Rocki made it.
It was touch and go for many days, and many additional vet visits.  Finally
put of pred.  for stress and to increase appetite, Rocki after 7 weeks is
finally gaining some of his weight back ( he went from 3 pounds to 1.7
pounds) and he running around like there was never anything wrong.

I guess they don't do ferret renal transplants, but just like humans, you
only need one kidney to survive and Rocki is doing very well at that.
And we sure are grateful to Dr. Mercak for his expertise and loving caring
manner.

Home Page updated  Aug. 1, 2000
Come see Rocki & Silveretta
www.geocities.com/huronna