Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:09:37 -0400
From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
>From:    Fred A Hurd <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Defending Marshall Farms!!!????

One of the few posts in this topic that actually seemed to say something.
Too many are those adamant that they are right and that Marshall Farms is
the great satan and out to destroy ferrets, while they get their
information from Peta who has acknowledged that they ARE out to destroy
ferrets (as well as all other domesticated species).  Odd eh?

We disagree with the moderator that this particular round is any better
than any previous as the bashers are rather hateful as always.  Are
presenting exactly the same "(non)evidence" as they have for 5 years.
And are still implying that anyone who does not agree with them is mean
and does not care about ferrets.  Anyone who doesn't agree with them is
obviously supporting Marshall Farms when in nearly every case it seems to
be more that they (we) are just more realistic.

But the comment we want to make to you is neither in defense of Marshall
nor against Marshall but rather specific information about CDV and
vaccinating against it.

>All of his shots were up to date andf he died of it anyway, and my vet is
>certain that M.F.s "automated machine type vaccination" process was the
>culprit.  Spike died because he was most likely double vaccinated with a
>cannine type of vaccine.  It took over two years to happen but it did.

We are unsure what you mean.  But it is indeed true that a double dose of
a CDV vaccine can indeed cause vaccine induced distemper (or at least a
disease that for all intents and purposes is indistinguishable from
distemper but the incubation period should be the same as from "normal"
exposure to the live virus.

There is reason to suspect two outbreaks of canine distemper in ferrets
widely reported on the FML a few years ago was possibly caused by over
vaccinating.  The vets involved believed that more vaccinations scheduled
closer together than the recommendations of United Vaccines were "better".
The vets involved as far as we know still believe that over vaccination is
"better".  It is our theory that the over vaccination was the problem but
it is indeed mentioned in the Fox book that a 2CC dosage (which is indeed
double the recommended 1CC dose) can cause distemper.

Dr. Williams was involved with one if not both of the cases.  We would
appreciate his input.  Even if (or especially if) his input is to say
we are wrong.

But in your case something seems fishy about it taking two years to happen.

No vaccine is 100% effective.  We've talked about this with Dr Williams and
Dr Curlee from United Vaccines.  Sometimes the exposure to an antigen is
just too much for the induced immunity to hold.

>Hey if M.F is really the terrible place they are portrayed to be, then let
>us try to get it to change by insisting that they do things differently.
>Lets do it in stages to give the managment there a chance to change their
>ways.  Yes, even if it does lead to a full boycott of everything Marshall
>Farms, but at least they will have the chance to mend their ways.

THis is the way to approach the situation.  Marshall does have problems.
But isn't it incumbent on those of us that want the problem fixed to
actually be a part of fixing the problems not through whining and deceit
but through actually learning what is REALLY going on and proposing real
solutions that are achievable.  Expecting Marshall Farms to just go away
is unrealistic and naive.  Expecting marshall Farms to just acquiese to all
of our desires despite the impact it would have on completely eliminating
all competitiveness from their company and going out of business is exactly
the same mistaken goal.

Lets work together *WITH ALL* of the ranches to find what is better for
all ferret owners (including the ranches) and most especially for all of
the ferrets involved.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets

[Moderator's note: Actually, I thought your post was good too.  I guess I'm
just a big pushover ;-).  But things *are* beginning to get repetitive
now and I suggest we shelve this topic until we get the USDA reports on
Marshalls (assuming we will eventually get them).  Unless a really original
post comes in, tomorrow's FML will be the last to include this topic for
a while.  BIG]