From:
Martha DeLaun Fifield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:27:11 -0400
Hi list:
s took all my ferrets to the vet for a free ferret distemper vaccine that
is currently pending approval by USDA.  Six of them had the shot (one did
not, due to age and illness) and none had negative reactions to the
vaccine.  The vet is happy to report no ferrets have had bad reactions to
the vaccination.  I did leave one of my ferrets there for the day and they
found he has insulinoma.  His tests cost $300 and one of his medications
will cost about $150.  I also found out one of my ferrets definately has
adrenal gland disease ( she is only about 6 months) and at least 2 others
show signs of it.  The surgery to remove the adrenal gland will cost about
$1,000.  Alternative care with medication (temporary help) will cost about
$400 every 4 months and the ferret would have to be on the medication for
life.  I thought I would mention this, in case some of you are not aware of
the high cost of veterinary care.  I will not be able to continue rescuing
other ferrets because I cannot afford to take care of them.  It is sad.  I
am a sucker for a ferret in need.  I hope we are all blessed with plenty of
money, in order to provide all our babies with as much veterinary care as
they need.

Take care!
Martha