From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 07:24:47 EDT
You're kidding, right???

Tell you what.  You pay my shelter for a year, and I'll give you all the
"income" I generate.  I think you'd be happy to retract your statement,
very quickly.

Let's see.

Shelter Bills:
Food and litter $200-300 per month.  Meds, $10-200 per month.  Surgeries
and vet bills, average out to $300+ per month.  Want me to keep going?
There are other things.  When I have a sick ferret I can go through $15-20
worth of baby food and Sustacal, etc.  a week.  That's all before toys,
Synphenol 3 for disinfection, accessories such as feeding syringes,
hammocks and sleep sacks, long distance calls to people who want to adopt,
photocopying of adoption forms, postage, etc.

Shelter Income:
Averages out to about $300 per month.  That includes turn-in fees, adoption
fees and boarding fees.  Outright donations give me maybe another $50 give
or take, per month.

Do the math.  There's no profit there.  If there was, I wouldn't be working
full-time at one job, part-time at another, and consulting work on the side
for yet another company.

Please don't tell peopole there is money in sheltering.  It's actually a
major drain on the wallet.

Anne