From:
judy wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:08:18 -0500
Hello,

Before I get into Smokey's story, I just want to say that my heart and
thoughts are with those who have lost their fuzzies or who are nursing
sick babies.

Smokey, a 4-yr.  old altered female (MF), came to the shelter about a
month ago.  She was bald over most of her body and scratched at herself
constantly--adrenal disease already known.

The lady who surrendered her said that she also had been diagnosed with
lymphoma.  But Smokey is bouncy, playing, eating and pooping just fine.
Her energy level continues to be through the roof!

When I took her to the vet for her 1st vaccination, my vet took xrays but
didn't see any tumors.  He then called the vet who had diagnosed the
lymphoma to find out how it was initially determined.  He was told by the
first vet that Smokey had surgery in Feb.  and 3 tumors were removed and
sent off.  The results were lymphoma.

The first vet said the surgery was originally for adrenal disease and
he thought he'd found and removed the adrenal glands.  He was also very
surprised that Smokey was still alive.  Side note: it was also the first
time this vet had ever operated on a ferret.

So poor little Smokey may have a double-whammy going against her.  I want
to do surgery for the adrenal disease 'cause I'm pretty sure that the first
vet may have missed one or both of the adrenals.  But I'm concerned that
if she really does have lymphoma brewing then her chances of recovery are
going to be very slim (energy level notwithstanding.)

So, am I taking too big a chance to have her operated on again?  Does
lymphoma ever go into remission or is it just not showing up on the
xrays or would it show on xrays?  Are there any options I'm missing?

I would welcome any advice for helping this naked little bundle of energy,
she's such a doll.  I'm probably going to keep her, chalk it up to ferret
math or just love at first sight!

Judy Wallace
Cloud Nine Ferrets