From:
Jessica Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:01:08 EDT
This issue is quite difficult and heated.  Do we boycott the petstore
ferrets, thereby lowering demand for pet sales, and adopt the babies from
shelters, or do we save the pet store babies from being bought by
inadequate owners or living for extended periods in stores by buying them?

What is best in the long run for the ferrets?  As long as we keep buying
them from pet stores, the one you "save" from a store will be quickly
replaced by another one, maybe two or three since sales are good.  And
what about the shelter ferrets, that CAME from stores?  THEY aren't going
anywhere either until someone adopts them, and the shelter owner isn't
going to replace him/her with another ferret.  Shelters do not subscribe
to supply and demand.  Pet stores do.  The more babies we "save" from
stores, the more babies will be bred to replace them.

Your comments are welcome; I like to hear all sides.

~Jessica