Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:21:35 -0400
At 02:00 AM 09/20/2000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>When I got home last night, my rats pratically went out of their minds
>smelling every single inch of my ferret-tainted clothes.  They were
>definitely nonplussed :) Now I'm wondering if anyone who happens to have
>both rats and ferrets has ever had any particular problems with scent
>crossover; it isn't that hard to keep the critters physically separated,
>but they're sure to smell each other.  How much stress is that likely to
>cause, and might individual animals really freak out over it?

I have 3 rats and a ferret (and a cat, but that's beside the point).  They
don't seem to mind the ferret smell at all, but they don't act too fond of
the animal attached.  Every time Sitra passes their cage when she's out
playing, they grab onto the cage bars and stare at her.  If Sitra comes
up to sniff them, they'll leap at the bars and freak her out.  Other than
that, they don't mind at all when I'm covered with ferret scent.  I guess
they see it as, hey, she smells funny, but we get to play now, yay! ;)

Amber and her 5 misfits