From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:03:56 -0400
These are from notes I took during Dr Bruce Williams talk.  Unfortunately
I couldn't pronounce let alone spell many of the words he used (!), so my
notes are rather sporadic, based on things that were of interest to me.
Again, if anyone sees any errors, please correct me.

First, mention was made (I think by Dr. Karen Purcell) that Oxyglobin, a
blood substitute used in dogs, can also be used for ferrets if blood donors
are not available.  This is definitely info worth passing on to your vet.

Dr Williams believes there are 3 key things to keep in mind when doing
ferret surgeries: only use isoflourine gas for anesthesia, a heating pad to
maintain body temperature during and after surgery if needed, and use fluid
therapy for anything more complex than neutering.  Note however that many
well known ferret vets use additional anesthetics for pain control.

Injectable genomycin (sp?) antibiotic can be deadly for ferrets.  Do not
use it.

A lot of what Dr Williams discussed are things where ferrets are different
from cats and dogs, and vets should be careful not to diagnose based on
cat/dog norms.  For example, ferrets have high PCVs (packed cell volumes,
45-60%) and low WBCs (white blood cells, 2500-7000).

Liver enzymes will go up in a ferret that isn't eating, so a high value
when doing blood workups may not be meaningful other than the ferret hasn't
eaten recently.  During surgery, vets may note a very fatty liver, and
yellow sections or spots.  Again this is due to not eating, and not
necessarily liver disease.

Persistant lymphocytosis does NOT neccessarily mean lymphoma.  It can be
caused by a chronic low grade infection such as helicobacter (more on that
later).  The only way to definitively diagnose lymphoma is with a lymph
node biopsy.  Needle aspirates may not give good answers.

Kidney cysts are common in ferrets and almost always benign.

The pancreas in a ferret is large for the size of the animal, and often
even further enlarged.  This was discussed in yesterday's post by Dr
Williams (Yea!  Glad to see you posting again!) Episodic secretion of
insulin is common, so sometimes an insulinomic ferret may give a normal
reading.  Retesting may be necessary to confirm diagnosis.

He of course covered adrenal and insulinoma.  I didn't take any specific
notes on that, as it was mostly stuff I was already familiar with.

Virtually every ferret is infected by helicobacter bacteria, but only 10%
shows symptoms.  While the human version has been definitively determined
to be the cause of ulcers in people, this link has not been proven in
ferrets, though likely.  Dr Williams likes to use the Biaixin/amoxy therapy
rather than Flagyl/pepto bismol/amoxy.  You only have to give it for 2
instead of 6 weeks, and the ferrets detest it less.  (Note from Troy Lynn's
talk: mix 1cc pepto with 2cc whipping cream and they drink it right down!)

A paper on the identification of ECE as caused by a corona virus was
published in the 8/15/00 issue of JAVMA.  It is very similar to ECG, a
disease found in mink.  They think they can trace the first outbreak to
someone that kept both ferrets and pet mink.

"Birdseed" poop is commonly seen as ferrets are recovering from any kind of
diarrhea.  The seeds are really undigested fat globules.

Something has happened in the last 5 years to change the nature of
Aleutians Disease Virus.  Dr Williams believes it is a far greater threat
to the ferret community than ECE.  ECE shows itself quickly, and though
very contagious, it is very survivable with supportive care.  Ferrets can
shed ADV for 18-24 months before showing symptoms, so it is likely very
widespread now.  There is no vaccine, no cure, no treatment.  It is deadly.
ADV is a heartbreaking disease, just ask Judy Gromwold.

As you can see, there were some very sobering moments at the symposium.
We shared not only the fun and partying, but also the sorrow and fears.
I think that is part of why the weekend was so memorable.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH