From:
Carrie Paps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:23:01 -0400
Saturday I arrived home to find Dweezil seizing.  I grabbed him, screamed
for my husband "we have to the get to the vets NOW", we ran out the door
with a jar of honey.  I raced to the emergency vet, driving like an idiot
the whole way.  Dweezil continued to seize and the honey wasn't working.
We got into the office and there was no one there, I just about jumped over
the counter when someone came out.  She immediately took Dweezil in back.
He was listed as "critical care, laterally recumbent hypothermic and
unresponsive/comatose."  This was at 12:39 p.m.  At 1 pm the doctor came in
and told it wasn't looking too good.  They worked on him aggressively for
one hour, injecting 50% dextrose every 15 minutes.  At about 1:30 he began
responding.  He was offered food and ate.  At this time we were finally
allowed to see him.  I can't tell you how horrible this was.  He was
wrapped up in heating pads, his temperature had dropped to 91.4F, he was
responding to us but you could see he was out of it.

At that time we decided to head home and make a few phone calls.  The
emergency vet estimated our costs for two days of care to be $1,000.  There
was just no way we could do that.  I called around a few places, talked to
our vet, talked to other ferret friends.  Hubby and I finally decided that
it was probably time to put Dweezil down.  I called back to the vet and was
told that Dweezil was doing better.  We decided to go up there to see what
"better" meant.  All the way there I was determined to do what was right
for Dweez, either way it went, I wouldn't let him suffer.

"Better" meant that he was up and walking around and basically, being a
ferret.  We couldn't see him at that time because of the other patients
(dog hit by a car, dog hit by flying object from lawn mower, etc. etc.) so
we went out for a little while and relaxed.  Got home about 3 hours later
to get a message from the vet.  Seems Dweezil decided he didn't need an IV
anymore and pulled it out :-)

At that point we went back up to see him, bring him a sleep sack and some
food.  He was like his old self again.  We brought him home on Sunday.

Today he went in for surgery for his insulanoma, at 1:30 p.m. he was out of
surgery, groggy but doing good.

All I can really remember saying Saturday was "God, if it's his time, take
him, don't let him suffer."  I guess God has something else in store for my
little Dweezil Weasel.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts.

Carrie and Hubby and.......
Dweezil, Pip, Scooter, Buzz, Tigger, Ben, Bud, Ozzy, Luna, Thor, and Angel.