Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 01:54:32 -0500
Hi Everyone,

As for stinky boys, I have found that they do smell before being neutered.
But man oh man, when they sexually mature you can locate the buggers by
smell alone in a dark room!!!  Yucky poo.  The smell can take a couple of
months to totally disappear but starts going away sooner, get bearable in
a couple of weeks.

Mast cell tumors-Well, I have had animals that are prone to them.  Some
animals seem to get them and they keep coming back, generally in the same
area.  Generally, they look like big pimples with scabs on them.  Sometimes
they will burst, with granular tissue coming out.

- They do NOT get better on their own.
- They are PAINFUL.  Think how a boil or abscess feels to you.
- They are much bigger on the inside that what you can see.  About two
  thirds of the things are buried.

Because of their size, removal often leaves a much larger incision than you
would expect.

They can be malignant, but even so, are often encapsulated and can be
totally removed.

Adrenal tumors- I was surprised to at the size of adrenal glands on
ferrets.  (side note, I had fun identifying them on the chicken I cut up
for the gravy).

I have had 8 ferrets have the surgery in the last year.  All but one were
mad at me by the next morning, if not the same day of surgery.  They bounce
back quickly.

Only one got antibiotics.  All had embedded stitches so didn't have to go
back.  I brought them all home same day of surgery.  Gave them duck soup
for a couple of days until I was sure they were eating on their on.

Extra adrenal tissue?  I know the vets in Houston have seen it.  Adrenals
can also regrow when a small portion is left in.  Or if all the tissue from
a complete removal is not removed.  Many vets leave in a bit on a second
adrenalectomy so that the ferret does not have to have medicine forever.

Grooming- many of my ferrets do this.  Myrna will groom me for 15-20
minutes at a time.  They are showing me how they care for me and that they
accept me as one of their own.

Shots- I get Benadryl shots for the kiddos before vaccinations.  I get
both shots at the same time.  I used to just dose with children's Benadryl
before.  I haven't had a reaction yet.  Yes, I consider myself lucky.

I do stay at the vet's for half an hour or so.  they get the Benadryl shots
about 15 minutes before the vaccinations.

Maggie and her Missouri Mobsters