From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:01:09 PDT
Today, I received a call from the VP of Petco (product group) and he told
me the story on these bowls.  First of all, thank you for Lisette's post
and concerns, but it looks as though this isn't all it is cracked up to be.

The small bowl with the colored paw prints has NO LEAD whatsoever - so do
not fear.

The white bowl with the black ferrets and bunnies on it contains lead which
is actually in the paint on the outside.  The FDA allows 2.0 parts per
million of lead.  The bowl was tested by them and they found it to be 2.23
parts per million.  Petco also used Merchandise Testing Labs (huge product
testing lab) and found only .013.  Petco then pulled the bowls because of
the FDA standards.

In conclusion, most likely if your ferret is into licking and chewing paint
off the side of the bowl, then I would be concerned.  The lead is not
internal nor is it on the inside of the bowl.  Sometimes lead can "leech"
into things, but in such a small amount, it is not likely.  Petco will take
the bowl back at any of its stores.  Clerks are sometimes misinformed when
it comes to this, thus creating confusion.

What am I going to do?  Return the bowl for a different one (probably the
paw prints bowl).  What should you do?  Alert the store manager if you
still see the black/white bowl on the shelf.

So, it is not likely that this will cause health problems, but as a
cautious and overly-protective ferret mom, I am not taking any chances.

Feel free to call the powers that be if it makes you feel more secure.

Keep fuzzy!