From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:27:31 -0500
Yesterday morning, I woke to find Farley in a mild coma.  His was not
responsive when I picked him up and his body was quite limp.  There was a
bit of droll on his chin and his eyes glassy.  I know this is symptomatic
of insulinoma because one of my others has gone through the same except he
never had this kind of reaction.

For a week or so before this, Farley had been getting thin.  I diagnosed
this as a potential blockage, perhaps a hair ball that was ready to get up
(he has had a history of successfully coughing up rather long - 2 in - hair
"logs").  He often ran around the room anxiously trying to poop.  He would
only produce very loose stools, nothing normal.  He had some heavy does of
laxatone and petromalt which produced rather tarry stools (something I
expected).  During this time, Farley was not eating as often as normal,
hence, the possible diabetic shock.

I gave Farley plenty of Nutri-cal and in time he came around.  I knew he
would be tired and not be able to eat so I force fed he some baby food
(Gerber's beef and beef broth - not your most appetizing of foods even for
a ferret).  I mixed the food with ferretone for taste.  I knew that I would
be able to force feed him hard food so the baby food was a natural choice
and I heard about it being used before.  I fed him three times during the
day.  I also put him on Pred, which my other ferret Osborn is already on.
I know this takes a few days for his body to adjust (I saw it happen with
Osborn) so I am hoping it will trigger his appetite and Farley will eat
naturally again.

The reason I am posting to all of you is for assistance or advise without
visiting a vet.  I have had ferrets for quite some time now, have talked
with those who have had them, and read enough here to know how to diagnose
what is wrong with a ferret.  At least I think so.  I just want to make
sure I am proceeding correctly especially since this episode with Farley
was far more severe than Osborn every had.  Also, almost 2 yrs ago Farley
exhibited something abnormal that prompted the lady who was watching them
to test his blood sugar.  It was quite low, < 60.  Subsequent fasting
glucose tests put him in the low 70's.  Since that time, Farley never
exhibited any kind of insulinoma symptom.  Until now.

So, whatever you can offer I would appreciate it.  Please respond either
here on the list or to: [log in to unmask]

Thank you all.