From:
Sue Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:13:39 EST
We have had the respiratory flu at my house this week.  3 of my 6 ferrets
now have symptoms of the same.  Took one to the vet tonight and he was put
on AmoxiDrops 0.5 ml twice a day.  Vet also gave me the same medicine for
the others that are ill.  My question is this: Jonesy (not sick yet) is due
to have surgery for insulinoma and adrenal on Feb.  9th.  Should I start
him on a regimen of medicine to help prevent him getting ill?  He is
currently on Prednisolone 0.5 ml twice a day.  In humans, prednisone will
contribute to a lower immune system, so I would think Jonesy would be more
susceptible.  I would hate to have to postpone the surgery now that I have
found a new, good vet and have scheduled the surgery.  If he should get
this flu, cold, would his surgery have to be postponed?

Thanks in advance.
Sue