From:
Nigel Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:27:25 -0500
Bright blessings to all -

To all shelter operators out there - big, small, pretty, plain, tattooed or
not, multi-hued hair or whatever - thank you, from all of us ferret lovers,
for taking care of these babies.  There is a special place at the Rainbow
Bridge for you!

Healing thoughts to all sick babies and tears for those babies who have
passed over the Bridge.  We will never forget ...

I saw a post the other day where the ferret mom or dad remarked that their
fuzzie had an eye problem - the pupils did not respond to light.  Does
anyone know what could be the cause of this?  Our Ziggy is a 5 1/2 year old
DEW.  He has been deaf all his life but we noticed a year ago that he was
him moving through the house differently - not that he never went across
the middle of the floor - but he was usually nearer the wall.  The he
started bumping into things.  I had to start watching him closely when we
went out for our nightly walk (harnessed and leashed) - he would cruise
along and walk right into the tire of the car in the driveway or even
into the cement step in front of the door.  Our regular vet looked for
cataracts and said she could see nothing wrong.  When he had his annual
apparently undiagnosable illness this year, we had him at another vet more
knowledgeable with ferrets and were told that the pupils were not reactive
to light and that Ziggy was completely blind (I'll argue with that - some
days I'm sure he can see shadows).

Could this condition be a result of a trauma or is it more likely to be
nerves misfiring or not firing at all?

Just wondering . . .

Bonnie, Nigel & Kris
and our small force of phenomenally focused and fearless ferts
Poppy, Ziggy & Phreddie