From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:11:22 -0400
>Dr. Donovan removed the left gland, the right was surrounded by fat but
>was not affected.  The pathology lab report showed that this was not a
>tumor but a Nodular Hyperplasia.  (Dr. Williams could you please comment
on this?)

Dear Sharon:
There are three basic types of lesions that will cause the constellation of
signs we see in adrenal ferrets.  All are present in the adrenal cortex,
and all cause the same clinical signs.  Usually we don't know which one is
in there until we see it at surgery, and often not until the pathologist
reads the slide and sends the report.

The three lesions are adenomas (benign neoplasms), carcinomas (malignant
neoplasms) and hyperplasia.  Hyperplasia as a general term is the growth
of a type of tissue in response to something, which may be a hormone, an
irritant, or other things.  In the case of the adrenal cortex of ferrets,
we don't really know what it is.  When we can identify it, then we may
have the key to adrenal disease!.  Neoplasm are growths of tissue which
are spontaneous and unregulated.  If the tissue largely recapitulates the
microscopic appearance and function of the parent tissue under the
microscope, and does not metastasize, or take off to other parts of the
body and continue growing in an uncontrolled fashion, then we call it an
adenoma.  Carcinomas are malignant neoplasms of the adrenal cortex which
show great cellular immaturity, and may move to other organs (luckily, they
rarely do.)  Carcinomas also have a much higher rate of growth - that's why
most neoplasms you see over 1 cm in diameter in the ferrets adrenal are
carcinomas.

Nodular hyperplasia is probably the most common lesion of the ferret
adrenal gland.  It will cause all of the cutaneous, reproductive and
behavioral signs that we see with adrenal disease, but there is no risk of
metastatic disease or sudden death.  It does, however, require surgery as
do true neoplasms of the ferret adrenal - you made the right decision here.

The right decision to go to surgery without regard to what the lesion is -
they all need to come out.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM