From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:31:50 -0400
Kim, Very close: Vena Cava.

Some do have asymptomatic adrenal tumors.  We've been there, too, though
other things took her first before that could.  There's really nothing
you can do in such a situation.  You did all the right things, given what
things looked like.

Adding weight: get a can of a/d from your vet and mix it with warm water
then give that for fastest gain, also useful are second-stage baby foods,
assorted duck soup recipes available on line, and Bob's gravy recipe.
Remember that dehydration can deminish hunger as can anything that
interfers with sense of smell (some diuretics, getting a "cold", influenza,
etc.).  If insulinoma skip anything with sugar.  Yes, we have used Ensure
and Sustical in past but depends on individual ferret.

Those are also useful after surgery.  When sugar is not a danger then
Nutrical mixed in with warm water is also helpful after surgery for
avoiding dehydration.

We do NOT put ferret together after surgeries because we have some who
would walk on the sick one, at least one who would pull stitches (Someone
wrote here once of finding a ferret with entrails all hanging out after a
post-surgical grooming by another ferret.), etc.  Many don't want to be in
with others at that point except for monitored visits.  They DO want chance
to be snug and warm, though, and certainly need at least the second.  We
LOVE the fake-fur lines bags from FAIR (P.O. Box 952, Westmont, IL 60559)
for this, laid atop towels or bathroom rugs.  You can also do things like
warm cloth-rice bags in the microwave and make those available.

Use paper at first or a a ramp pot or one with a smooth and low entryway
for the ferrets to avoid pressure on sore areas, scraping, or infecting.
Don't use standard litters; instead use either shredded newspaper or
Yesterday's News.  The ramp pots are in some pet stores, and there is a
low entry one from MF with a completely smooth entry which is the BEST
post-surgical pot we've found, but know some don't want to buy to them or
are reducing such purchases.

Alicia had a WONDERFUL article on the topic in a past Modern Ferret; you
might want to try to get a copy.  It will be worth the effort.

BTW, so far (18 years, with first surgery probably in '83 or '84) we've
never lost a ferret post-surgically, and that includes one who had multiple
very complex surgeries, including much of her liver out, done at a time
when she also had cardiomyopathy and a questionable spleen (which had to
stay in or she wouldn't have made it at that point) in her to complicate
recovery.  These tips do work.

Oh, sometimes they like to sleep with toys afterward so have safe ones
handy.

I'm fine after the pantry accident, just have can bruises in non-can
areas! :-)  Thanks for asking.

Betty, sounds like you have one of the ones who are incredible with
language!  Aren't they just amazing!  All ferrets seem to be able to pick
up on human language well when it is kept simple and repetitive as with
toddlers (Have to think that has something to do with having ancestors
who had to learn the sounds of multiple other species in pitch black
tunnels -- preadaptation.) Some are just incredible, though, and those
ones tend to be consistent through the years (though they still ignore us
if we are being boring, just like FML members do...)  Also, you wrote,
"Smarter than the average bear... dog... cat... goat... sheep... rat...
horse... human."  Yes!  It amazes me that people who expect to NOT modify
their own behavior then think ferrets are stupid if ferrets don't
completely alter their's.