From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:30:11 PDT
First off, I want to send my warmest regards to Ferret Mama who lost
Sherman.  Thank you for your post, I am sure it was very difficult to
write and you are probably going through so many emotions anger, grief
and frustration.  YOU did NOTHING wrong!  Superpet should have found a way
to get the message out that some items had been recalled (not the one that
caused the demise), and I am angry that they did not.  In fact, I would
pursue this one in court.  People sue manufacturers all the time for
injury and death as a result of problems with products.  Look at Ford and
Firestone.  Yes, this was a ferret, but obviously a very important member
of your family.  If there is anything I can do to assist you at this time,
please do not hesitate to ask.  Perhaps all the FML members could bombard
Superpet with letters about product safety and how important it is?  What a
jerk this Dave guy is that he would not take your call very insensitive.
Please provide his phone number if you do not get good results via Joe.  An
apology AND a recall of the hammocks, is in order.  More than likely, The
Ferret Store will stop carrying these (I hope).  Tears are streaming down
my cheeks as I think of this situation and the pain you must be in.

Marshall Farms <sigh>.  Does anyone see that the good that Marshall Farms
is doing (trying to legalize ferrets in California) just might be motivated
by potential profit?  California is a huge state with many ferret
enthusiasts, and Marshall just might be missing out on profits because they
cannot ship ferrets to stores in that state.  Do you think this is at all
possible?  Look at Jeanne Carley and think for a moment, she has no
financial reason (gain) by fighting to legalize ferrets.  In fact, I bet
she has even gone into the negative with all of her efforts.  Again, this
is speculation, I am not sure what the motive is as far as Marshall Farms
is concerned.  It just looks a little suspicious.

Shana Hiniker, you wrote that ferret care (shots) are too expensive and
that you are strapped?  I must ask you this question: did you research
everything before obtaining this pet?  It is recommended over and over that
people do the math prior to obtaining any animal.  Yes, you are probably
being charged too much (my vet is less) but some vets still consider
ferrets exotic pets and therefore justify charging more.  Is this fair?
Probably not, but that is how it is.  Your best bet is to find a way to pay
for the care such as getting a second job, or borrowing money.  You chose
this animal and took the responsibility for it, so now you need to do
whatever it takes.  I do know that in some cities, there are vet clinics
that will care for peoples pets who are homeless or low-income.  You can
check with your city on this.  Make sure that the person administering
shots knows ferrets and reactions (what to do).  Also, did you tell your
vet that you are strapped for cash?  Perhaps you can work out a payment
plan?  These are all options available to you, but you have to do the
homework.  I do commend you for not just getting rid of the ferret, you
are obviously concerned about this and want to keep him/her.  This is just
some helpful advice, I am not trying to lecture you, sorry if it comes
across that way.

Dooks!