From:
Denise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:42:00 CDT
As alway's I begin by saying my prayers are with all ferrets that have
entered the rainbow bridge.

TODAY I LOSTED MY DEAR SHERMAN FROM A HAMMOCK MANUFACTURER BY SUPER PET.

FIRST I BEGIN BY ASKING ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED ANY HAMMOCKS
BY *SUPERPET* TO CHECK YOUR HAMMOCK.

THE HAMMOCK IS THE FUZZ E. FLOOR HAMMOCK (SIZE 16.5X5X27)

THIS HAMMOCK IS SOLD THROUGH THE FERRET STORE (NEEPS) AT STOCK NUMBER
SP-62260 FUZZ-E-FLOOR  AND ALSO BY PETS.COM  LISTED AS FUZZ E. FLOOR

THE HAMMOCK IS LISTED AS THIS IN ADS.  IT IS CREATED OF ADDITIONAL LAYERS
OF HANGING LIVING SPACE FOR YOUR PETS HOME.  THE SUPER-SIZED DURABLE
FUZZ-E-FLOOR FITS SEVERAL PETS AND CAN WITHSTAND MUTIPLE WASHING WASHINGS.
IT COMES IN ASSORTED COLORS.

*Please check your hammocks and see if there is any problems in the lining
of the hammock.  I purchased several hammocks for my ferrets in May of
this year2000.  I have probably washed these hammocks every 2 weeks, since
I alternated their hammocks with fresh ones.  So a total of around 6 to 8
times.  This morning I heard one of my younger ferrets scream.  When I came
to the cage she was digging at the hammock which she shared with Sherman.
(Sherman is a 3 year old male ferret.) When I looked in the cage I noticed
the hammock was tangled and that Sherman had dug a small whole inside the
hammock and had became trapped under the several linings of material.  This
was suppose to be the several layers they listed for comfort.  Sherman had
turned hisself several times trying to free himself, only to become more
tangled in the inside lining.  Like a spider web, Sherman was incase in
this lining.  I then had to cut Sherman free from the hammock.  The lining
had cut off his blood supply causing his death.

I then called Super Pets to tell them about the Hammock, I WAS TOLD
TO WRITE THEM A LETTER TO SOMEONE NAME DAVE AND THAT HE DIDN"T ACCEPT
CALLS.They then asked if I had the address.  Which I did from the several
hundred dollars of products that I had recently purchased.  There was no
compassion about the lost and that Dave handle these Problems.  So my
Loved Pet Sherman was a problem., And also to take a picture of the hammock
and my dead Sherman to show them.  To also send this to Dave.

Since I deal with Neeps alot with purchases I contacted Joe, who said he
would directly talk with Dave on this issue of the Hammock and Sherman.
While talking with Joe I then found out that several items had been
recalled by Super Pets like The Hanging Playpen for Ferrets.  Which I also
had purchased 3 recently, but received no recall.  I am suppose to receive
a call from Joe thursday and what Dave had to say.  Joe said he could get
Dave to talk with him since he carries alot of Super Pets products.  I also
asked about how these Ferret Items were tested for safety and Joe said that
most were imported from other countries and that he didn't know if they
even tested Our Ferrets Hammocks.

If You have a Hammock, please look on the outside of it, if it has a Super
Pet Icon remove it and check it out.

I know that this will not Bring my Sherman back, But Maybe it will save
the next Ferret and Ferret Parent alot of grieve and tears.

The Ferret Mama
Denise Peddington Davis