From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:50:27 -0400
>I was wondering if anyone takes any measures to clean their ferrets' teeth
>themselves between vet cleanings.  I would like to do this, as I'm sure it
>can't hurt to try :)  Maybe a baby toothbrush?  A washcloth?

To Jessica:
Brishing your ferret's teeth is a great idea.  We do it with our own, as
we do the dogs every day as well.  While not as important to good dental
hygiene as feeding hard kibble and staying away from gooey snacks, a good
brush each day only takes a couple of seconds, and helps you spot early
warning signs of tooth problems.

What you use depends on the ferret.  Baby toothbrushes with short bristles
that you fit over your fingers work very well with our ferrets, but a
washcloth or piece of gauze can do as well.  You can pick up a toothpaste
for dogs or cats at your vets - one of ours likes beef flavor - the other
really doesn't like any.  Don't use human toothpastes - no ferrets like
them, and some ingredients won't agree with your ferrets stomach.  Pet
toothpastes are meant to be swallowed.

Some people use the edges of coins to remove tartar.  My feeling on this is
that if there is enough tartar buildup that it is warranted, a real tooth
cleaning is probably in order at your vet's.  If all you see is a little
stain on some teeth, and the gumline isn't reddened, a coin probably won't
scrape it off, and you may do more damage to the enamel than good for the
ferret.

With kindest regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM