From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:55:24 -0700
 Hello!

If anyone has emailed me in the past two days about a post, I may have
missed it!  (Except for one gentleman, he and I have already talked) I
subscribe to two lists and someone who emailed me using Microsoft Outlook
Express or Internet Explorer had a lovely virus attached to it!

The virus is Wscript.KakWorm, and effectively shuts down Windows upon its
launch.  Since I don't use either Microsoft products, it didn't do anything
other than launch Norton's AntiVirus software which deleted it and the rest
of the mail in my Inbox.

I don't know whether the person who emailed me knew they had it or not.  My
reading about it on Symantec's site says it attaches itself to a signature
file of the person and then launches on the 1st day of every month there
after.  Now, I would HATE to think whom ever emailed me knew what they were
doing, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.  And stick my tongue
out anyway and say, "Nice try!" But it did cause me to miss email, so if I
haven't replied to you, please email me again if you wish about my post!

For those of you with sig files, better check them!  If you use Microsoft
Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, there is a patch that fixes this and
eliminates the chance for the virus to work.  You have to download it at
their web site.  Symantec's site has info, too!

Oh a happier note, Tass had Adrenal surgery last Friday, and wasn't doing
well recovering.  She seems to have an infection that showed itself on
Sunday.  We took her in Monday, got some Clavamox and have been dosing her
ever since.  She's much more playful and alert, although she still isn't
eating well and her incision is still swollen and angry.  She does like
the yogurt, though!  8)

Thanks and email me again, please!
Julie