From:
Nunya Bizznezz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:33:49 -0400
Our first sight of Patrick O'Ferret was, Himself asleep in a litter box
the date 09/Jun/2000.  He has a choclate pattern and he weighed 1 pound 7
ounces at 14 - 15 weeks.  His brother and sister were curled up asleep in
the hammock.  They were being kept in a small rabbit cage and IMHO
mistreated and underfed (pet store of course) because when we got them home
on free feed he gained about 4 ounces a week untill he weighs more than his
brother.  Patrick quickly weaseled (pun intended) his way into my wifes
affections by being the only ferret I've ever seen or heard about that
after having been picked up even in the middle of a wardance will, when
she rubs his chest, fall asleep on her chest or in her arms and be smugly
content to be there.  You can tell by the smirk on his face.  Life was good
for him until the middle of August when we noticed him limping.  Between
our vet and a friend, vets from Fla.  to Ill.  and Cal.  to Vir.  were
called and opionions solicitated.  The diagnosis is a luxated elbow
(left)because all ligaments were non-existant.  My apologies, I mixed up
which leg was which in previous messages.  On 31/Aug/00 he endured a 4 1/2
hour surgery that attempted to attach an external fixator device, it failed
because the pins were not strong enough for their size.  Instead the joint
was pinned and a soft cast was placed on that leg.  Prescriptions given are
Cephalexin 125 ml 3x daily and Torbagesic as needed for pain.  On 13/Sep/00
follow up exam, after the cast was removed, the vet found that circulation
was nearly cut off due to the pin and cast and that below the knee was
swollen nearly 3x normal size.  The leg was then cleaned and rewrapped.  On
the 28 - 29/Sep/00 he will go back to see if circulation has improved and
swelling gone down drastically if not, and the vet seems to think this most
likely, amputation will follow that day.  During follow up the right leg
was observed to be sub-luxated as well and that was when the vet suggested
euthanasia if both legs needed to be amputated.  (I was not present as I
work 2nd shift however my wife and mother-in-law were.  As I understand
it there was a resounding NO!  expressed, with strong overtones of do not
suggest it again.)  Which I endorsed for I believe when the time comes
Patrick has more trouble enjoying living he will let us know that it is his
time.  In the meantime ,however, we will help him to do the ferrety things
he can.  Plus I have already designed him a "wheelchair" I just need to
build it.  I hope he never needs it though.

Any one with comments please feel free to e-mail me direct

A brief introduction to the Wrecking Crew
Cyrano     f  4.5yr
Roxanne    f  3.5
Ziggy      m  2
Tsunami    m  2
Calvin     m  2
Avalanche  m  2
Ian        m  1.5
Misha      f  1.5
Elizabeth  f  1.5
Scarlett   f  1.5
Duncan     m  .6
Natacha    f  .6
Patrick    m  .6

And us
David      Me
Melissa    Wife
Sarah      Mother-in-Law

--
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly...
it would be strange indeed if so celestial an

                                          -Thomas Paine