From:
Pamela Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:58:24 -0700
Good Day All!

Thanks to all those who sent me wonderful information on whole male ferret
odor.  I got a ton of support and some great suggestions, and really
appreciate it.

Second, I want to say that I'm really surprised about the reports on the
French Marshall's organization.  Not that I'm challenging the accuracy,
mind you.  It's just that our experience has been very different.  We're in
the U.S. military, living in Germany, and have been told that cats, dogs,
and ferrets aren't widely sold in pet stores here because, after years of
documented abuse and maltreatment at breeding operations and pet stores,
the government outlawed puppy mills and mass selling of companion pets.
Therefore people who want pets must go out of their way to find reputable
breeders.  We searched diligently to find a breeder to get our little guys,
and were screened pretty thoroughly (although, I think the breeder probably
thinks that we're a little soft on our pets ... what with keeping them
inside and all... he actually keeps his in cages in a barn, and uses them
for hunting!  But, they are very good natured and obviously well taken care
of, as well as handled often.).  I believe that we were scrutinized even
more closely than many buyers, because Americans have a reputation for
being a "throw-away" culture.  All in all, I'm just surprised that a large
breeding operation would be licensed for business in France.  I guess it's
one more indication that just because they're neighboring countries, and
both in the EU, doesn't mean that Germany and France resemble each other
much at all!

 ;)
Pam