From:
Mark Hei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:11:06 -0400
Hello Torrey,

First of all... If you are a first time ferret owner, get a guide or
magazine about the care of them, especially when you first get them home...
Then, I have had great success with my 2 buddies, at 2.5 and 3 years old...
and I got them from a large pet store in MD (forgot the name)... on Route
1, going towards the North... First (or second) shopping center on the
left.  - really big store there...

Get lots of ferret treats, get a nutritional supplement right away... Get
some Litter and some puppy trainers (look like sheets with plastic and
cotton on them, to put down and catch puppy accidents)...

and before you get your ferret, find a room you want him/her /them to live
and put the litter sheets in every corner... For corners and under things
you don't want to have pooped on, tape them down, because baby ferrets will
did in the litter before pooping on them for the first few times... they
are super curious...

If you have a bed or lamp or TV appliance which you don't want them to poop
under, stuff the place with snugly soft things, such as a pillow or nice
T-shirts...

Then, get ready to rumble!  They come home a bundle of excitement... I
really think you should expect about 8 hours of fun... Select one which
looks up and finds you, don't worry so much if they nip!  don't hit, when
they bite, they are just playing or startled and do not know how rough
to play with you!  If you let them loose in your bedroom, beware of your
feet - they will sneak up on them in the night...

I would keep the baby in the cage when he/she is not playing, even if
he/she scratches allot, to teach it that it is their home base... but only
for the first few days... then, I suggest you ferret proof at least one
room, and let them run free!  (The cage should have hangy things in them -
my ferrets LVE to use hammocks)

good luck, be patient, and remember - you are buying a responsibility
which is gonna really love you, take him/her everywhere!  get a car cage
and train him/her to wear a leash for walks!!!  I am with my ferrets
everywhere, except in the car when it is summer or spring and too hot!

there is an 80-100 page fact page, a FAQ that talks about the details!

Mark H.