Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:19:14 -0400
From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear FML'ers

I am currently beginning a research project on pathology of the ferret
eye.  I am looking for eyes of blind ferrets taken at autopsy or following
surgery for ophthalmic disease.  (Please , no currently working eyes!  )

As there really is very little literature on diseases of the ferret eye, I
am looking to prove/disprove the existence of certain diseases which are
currently accepted in ferret medicine, such as retinal atrophy, as well
as document other causes of blindness (cataracts, glaucoma, etc).  While
retinal atrophy has been reported, no one has ever looked critically at
these eyes to prove the presence of the lesion in the retina.  I currently
have about ten or so, but with the numbers of blind geriatric ferrets, I
really would like to examine quite a few more...

Eyes should be submitted in formalin (address below), and I may be
contacted at 202-782-2392 for any questions.  As always, there is no
charge for the evaluation, and submitting veterinarians will receive a
full report.

This offer good until 1 September, 2001 (I still receive fecal samples
from a post I made 6 years ago!)

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Chairman, Dept. of Telemedicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology