From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:37:21 -0500
A couple of weeks ago I posted about one of my guys, Farley, showing signs
of insulinoma, which in deed he has based upon a clinic tests.  My concern
now that he has stabilized, has a lost a bit of weight (2.5 oz in 2 weeks
maybe more now) is how do I get him to eat hard food on his own.  Earlier
on he had no problems and would eat a couple of times a day by himself.
I fewe times I helped him out by burying a piece of banana in the food.
He would nose through it, eat the banana and then go on to eat some food.
He has not done that since this past Saturday.  Though I have no complete
proof, after isolating him all day yesterday, I suspect that he ate on his
own because the level of the food bowl was disturbed and the bowl had been
moved around as he pushing it with his nose and mouth looking for food.  He
is not one to play with the bowl, not in his condition.  I have even tried
grinding up the food in case breaking it down was too much effort on his
part.  No luck there either.

What I want to know is any other tricks to get him to eat on his own.
Currently I will feed him baby food just so I know he is getting something.
He often resists the food but I force it on him.  Once he starts licking
it, especially if it has ferretone with it, he'll eat some.  I really think
I need to leave him alone and let he try to eat by himself.  When he wakes
up he sniff at the food bowls but not to eat.  When he realizes what the
baby food is he will eat but only if I put a finger full in his face and
rub in on his lips and mouth.  Now I figure forcing him to eat may drive
him not to eat by himself but I can't be sure of that nor do I trust that
inclination.

He also has become quite stubborn eating taking his pill.  I was successful
burying it in banana till figured that one out.  Now he'll either eat
around the pill in small bites or ignore the banana all together.
Currently I force open his mouth and drop the pill in before getting bit.
I chase it down with ferretone.  I know there is some kind of pill popper
out there used for cats or kittens because I have seen it.  Has anyone
heard of these and if so are they available at the local pet store?

I appreciate any useful information you can offer. Respond here or to
[log in to unmask] I prefer the latter.

Thank you all again and especially to those that offered there assistance
previously.