From:
Cari Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:36:31 EDT
Notice of a survey regarding ferret medications was posted approximately 2
weeks ago.  Within two weeks of posting the survey online, twenty surveys
were received, in total, from 13 out of the 50 United States, Mexico, and
Canada.  Those surveyed were asked to complete a form containing ten
questions regarding ferret medicine and care.  Here are the results:

Frequency of medication administration:
Ferrets surveyed tended to need medication on a daily basis (46%) most
often as compared to every 6 months (12%), annually (18%), three times
per week (6%), weekly, monthly, and every 2-3 months (0% each).  Eighteen
percent of the respondents indicated that their ferret did not currently
require medication.

Avenue for obtaining medication:
Forty-eight percent of ferret medications are obtained from the
veterinarian's office as compared to 37% (retail pharmacy), 7% (shelter),
4% (Mexico), and 4% (other).  This indicates that pharmacists are actively
involved in dispensing thirty-six percent of ferret medications.

Dosage form their ferret (s) would most prefer
47% of their ferrets would prefer a liquid (syrup, suspension) dosage form
as compared to 33% (paste), 10% (chewable treat), and 10% (injectable).

Flavor Preferences
The flavors that achieved a 5% or better rating were banana (10%), chicken
(5%), peanut butter (5%), vanilla (5%), watermelon (5%), and wild cherry
(5%).  The highest ranked "top 3 flavors" were banana (10%), cherry (8%),
chicken (8%), peanut butter (8%), chocolate (7%), vanilla (7%), cola (5%0,
and orange (5%).

Favorite foods, beverages, and supplements
The most popular responses included raisin (15%), Ferretone (13%),
Ferretvite/Nutrical (11%), and Cheerios (8%).

Compound History
Fifty percent of those polled indicated that their veterinarian had written
for a compounded medication in the past as compared to forty percent, who
had never had a compounded order and 6 percent, who couldn't recall if
their veterinarian had written for a compound in the past.

Compound Interest
Ninety-four percent of ferret owners indicated that they would be
interested in purchasing medication from a compounding pharmacist.  The
remaining six percent were undecided.

That's it folks!

Once again, I thank all of you who participated in my survey.  Without your
input, I would not be able to formulate compounds with ferret's interests
in mind.  Thus far, I have compounded 3 medications into liquid form
based on this survey.  Flavors that I have attempted, to date, include
banana-molasses, molasses, and vanilla.  It appears every ferret loves
ferret-vite or similar products...which are flavored molasses.  (I know
mine do too!)

I am currently writing this data and additional research data up, in an
attempt to publish my research on ferrets and compounding.  I will let
you know if it is a success.

Thank You!!
C Miller (BS Pharm)