From:
Stacey Yea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:43:51 -0400
Hello All,
Firstly, everyone with a sick fuzz or who have recently had a Beloved cross
the bridge, my heart and tears as well as many thoughts and prayers are
with you all!

I am a avid reader of the FML, and am thankful to have found a bunch of
people who love there ferts as much as I do.  My greatest gratitude to you
all that have given me advice or opinions, you are all life savers.  Some
of you know me, however many of you don't...I have 2 boys Buddy- Sable -
1year and Louis unusual - White head and feet with a grey body and tail-
10 months & deaf :-)

( my challenged precious package of love) he is such a wonderful fert while
Binks can be my problem child at times! LOL!

I have been owned by ferts for over 10 years but went 4 long years without
being blessed with there presence.  As most of you know, things have
changed in the past 10 years with ferts........

This past year after getting Buddy at the most difficult and saddest time
of my life ( dealing all by myself with the loss of my sister Sherry to
Breast Cancer) Buddy has been the biggest blessing/joy God could give me, I
can honestly say that my Binkerman ( one of Buddy's many pet names), has
lifted my spirits when they were lower than ever imagined with his crazy
dances or just with his tremendous amount of compassion and company when I
had no one which was incredible especially considering ferrets mentality,
go go go!  and has just given me the security that knowing there is someone
still who counts on you whether he is a human or not, in my case a fert.

Months after getting Binks, I saw Louis in the pet store, which again was
love at first sight, I brought him home, they are the best of friends
( back stabbers to one another, at times,lol) but friends.

To make a long story short, they are truly my family, now and I will do
whatever it takes to give them and any others that might join the family
the happiest /healthiest life possible for the time they are with me.  Now
maybe I am a narcotic, crazy, obsessive person but my ferts mean the world
to me.  I read the FML on a daily basis, and learn tons of information
that will help me be a better ferret mom :-).  What my main concern here
is.....there are so many illnesses, signs of illnesses that these guys get
and show, what if I am not seeing something I should.

I think that I am quite observant of my ferts health and behavior, and
ensure that they get a lot of play time and exercise at least 5 times a
week we go for what I call the Ferret-athon, that is when I take them for
a run down the hall in my apt.  building, they run like the wind and jump
and play after one another and for a walk outside, which I think is great
exercise and can be a way to notice if one is feeling under the weather.  I
have read as much info as I can possibly get on ferts as well as all the
info.  I have learned from all of you, not to mention the fact that I also
have had ferts before.  So I feel I am quite the attentive mom and do spend
a tremendous amount of time with them therefore enabling me to be able to
notice any drastic change in behavior or heal

Now I know that there is no direct or simple answer to this question but I
find that I am constantly concerned and at times think that my ferts show
symptoms of some of the posts, however, they seem perfectly healthy but I
do worry that it might be me over-seeing something......for example with
there poops, I do make sure to monitor there poops, for signs, however,
ferret poops to me are always different, sometimes full while other times
smaller but are the majority of the time solid, I have never noticed a
change in there eating habits and if at times I am worried, I will test
there appetite by offering them a raisin or something I know they can't
turn down, and watch as they eat it as well as drinking .  There has never
been any vomiting, which I now is cause for serious concern.  Pees are
normal, however, can be darker in yellow at times which has made me think
that one can have a urinary track infection Louis sometimes will have no
regard for where he pees but that I think is him just being a kit and only
happens sometimes.  Straining I have never noticed as far as I know, they
always seem to make a face while going to the bathroom, but I have seen
Louis go to the litter, step out and try and go in the corner with out one,
but I just put him back in the litter and the majority of the time he will
potty there or just plain on go back and we go through the steps again, he
is a slower learner than Buddy, I am not sure if this is associated Louis
being deaf.  There has been 2 or 3 times where I have noticed a piece of
towel from there bed in their poops but did not worry to much cause eating,
drinking and bowel movements and activity has never changed.  I do have
FerretLax for times that I think they might need it.  .  Other than that
they are crazy ferrets who constantly wrestle and play with one another or
me.  I also make sure we go to the vet every 4-6 months for a health check,
just to be safe.

Anyway, what my concern is and sorry to be so drawn out in my post but I
thought I would be more helpful to explain my concern.........I am
frequently worried about them and their health, I am always concerned that
I am not noticing something that I should and getting medical attention
sooner rather then letting it get worse. The thought of losing one of them
because of my neglect or oversight would devastate me. I am quite aware
that ferrets are not the easiest animals to  live with and care for and do
have more health problems which in turn I have prepared myself financially
to be able to do what ever it takes to give them what ever medical
attention is needed.

When I said that these ferrets are the world to me, I truly do mean it,
there is not a day that goes by that the anticipation of going home to see
them is not there, they in all honesty bring me the smile, laughter and
friendship that for quite a long time did not exist in my life.  I firmly
believe that they and all ferrets and animals who are loved and given the
security of being able to trust their humans are literally Life's Little
Angels sent down to bring us happiness.  Let me get to the point...... So
if there, Is any advice that anyone can give me on recognizing underlying
problems or illnesses or at least some helpful detailed rules or major
detailed signs that might be able to put my mind at ease ( most books or
references are too vague or do not explain in detail).  It at times can
concern me greatly, and I just want to be safe with a piece of mind.

I hope that some of you understand where I am coming from and don't think
that I am completely insane, any personal guidelines etc. would be most
appreciated.  I do value you many of your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks for letting me get this off my mind,Once again, sorry for the
lengthy post, and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Give all your fuzz butts a kiss for me. Thanking you in advance!
Kindest Regards, Stacey and The Boys