Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:38:21 -0600
I am looking to collect data on what shelters charge for adoptions.  All
shelters try their best to accommodate the greatest number of ferrets, to
help the needy, and yet keep their heads above the financial waters.  Just
as corporate businesses will do a wage review of their employees, I am
doing a shelter review of our adoption fees to see if they are in line
with shelters across the country/world.

1. What are your shelter's normal adoption fees?

2. Are there special cases in which the ferret's adoption fees are lower
or higher than normal adoption fees? If so, what are they?

3. Are ferret adoption fees based on age or on another factor such as
condition of the ferret (blind, deaf, sick, needs surgery, has had surgery,
but will require more surgery in the future, etc.) or temperament of the
ferret (biter, snuggler)?  If so, what are they?

4. Does your adoption include a membership fee to your organization?  or
Does the adoption automatically make the adopter a member at no additional
cost?  What are your memberships fees?

5. Do you offer discounts on multiple adoptions?  If so, what is your
formula?

6. Does your shelter offer sponsorship of needy ferrets?  If so, how much
monthly/yearly?

7. Does your shelter raise its adoption fees on a regular basis? (yearly,
every other year, etc.) What determines a price increase?  What is the %
or $ figure of increase?

8. Is money separated and used for different needs for your shelter?  Or
is it all in one pot?

9. What % of monies raised is spent on ferret care needs?  Promotions and
events?  Print materials?  Shelter cleaning supplies/office supplies?  Paid
staff?  (Best guess okay) (It would be great to get a handle on what monies
are going where - this will not be used to make judgment upon anyone.)

10.  What % of all monies comes in the form of donations?  From adoption
fees?  Fundraising events?

If there is other information about shelter monies that I should have
asked but didn't, please feel free to add it at the bottom.

If you could e-mail off list, that would be best as we do not want to start
a "pricing war".  (I'm just kidding - I doubt that would ever happen! ;-))
Send all e-mails to me at the above address.  Strictest confidentiality
will be observed here as this is merely research for our own shelter.  If
your shelter wishes to find out the results of this survey please state
that you would like a copy once all data has been collected and organized.
There will be no names published, and if you would like to remain
anonymous, you may forward this survey through BIG who can then forward
it to me, if he doesn't mind.

Thank you,

Betty Janner
Director of Public Relations and Promotions, Calgary
Alberta Ferret Society

aka: Betty and Her Blur O'Fur