From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:33:24 -0400
After there was a report from Kristen about her having three bags of bad
8 in 1 Ultimate I asked her for details.  One bag was of unknown cause,
but two had problems where the bags weren't sealed as they should be.  then
let a friend with a pet supply place know about it in case it was new, and
he told me that they have had a number of such moldy bags reported which he
had to replace and it appears that the bags themselves are the problem.  He
also implied that 8 in 1 hasn't been responding in a constrictive fashion
so far.  A lot of us here, us included, use 8 in 1 Ultimate as one of our
foods so this is a real problem for us.  We need to write or call the
company and let them know that we expect them to correct this difficulty.
The only contact info I have is 8 in 1, Hauppauge, NY 11788.  Am short on
time.  Anyone find more for us all?
[A later note suggested the phone number is 1-800-645-5154  BIG]

The silence on this food problem is deafening.

Just read that neat story about the Boeing retiree in Seattle who had been
a technical writer -- Yay, old farts!  Yay, Seattle!  Yay, Boeing!  Yay,
writers... (Hey, I'm an old fart and like to tease younger friends when we
do something right that they are supposed to be better equipped to do...)

Anyway, the current young are supposed to be more visually adroit so maybe
they just didn't watch enough or didn't clue to the possibly illegality,
but the retiree spotted an illegal subliminal message in a a political ad
(chosen word they tried to associate with a candidate being "Rat", and ad
shown over 4,000 times nationally):
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/12/continuous/12CNDELECT.html is one of the
places showing it on the Tuesday main section first page, but I am sure
it's in major papers, televisions news shows, major radio news, etc. all
over.

Here's the FUN CREATIVE TAKE-OFF: the offending political party has enough
wealth to argue that such approaches should not be or really are not
illegal in ads.  Imagine that they succeed; now TELL US ALL HOW *YOU* WOULD
USE SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES TO PROMOTE FERRET-FUN IN CA.  The funnier or
sappier, the better.  Tell us all your ad inclusion and what sorts of ad
it would be in.  Here are my two: in a feminine hygiene product ad: a panel
of a ferret running with on in it's wrapper and a laughing person chasing
after; in a soda pop ad: a shot of a ferret kit emerging from a vanilla
wafer box with a cookie in her mouth (Ashling did this as kit.) They used
their ad in a nasty way (person who found it is and how he did so are fun
to read about, though); let's figure some more constructive uses of the
approach and lead the way :-) ...

Sukie, having an asthma day