From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 03:55:48 -0700
In the back of my mind, I knew this was coming.  I just got that sense that
it wasn't going to get better.

Sandy is gone.

Whatever was happening to her got much worse yesterday afternoon (Friday).
I had her at work with me.  I tried forcing liquids and baby food and
chicken broth all day.  She refused to swallow.  When she opened her mouth,
she would cough away whatever was in it.  Then I noticed her skin was
turning yellow.

So back to the vet's we went at 8pm.  We had the third vet of the week.
Unfortunately our usual ferret vet had the day off.  The vet showed us
how dehydrated Sandy still was (her skin just sat in whatever position
the vet pinched it).  After some discussion, we decided to leave Sandy
overnight for bloodtests and IV fluids.  I hugged and kissed her and said
"Take care, sweetheart.  I love you."

Well the vet called at 5:36 this morning.  They had trouble getting blood
from her all night, because she was failing and pulling all of her blood to
the inside to help the organs.  The little bit of blood they did get was
watery.  She began small seizures.  Then she went into respiratory arrest.
I had checked the box on the drop-off form that said "Do not resusitate."
Sean & I figured that if something happened, it was meant for her to go.
She died while the vet was on the phone with me.

Last night before I fell asleep, I asked Gizmo to come get her if it was
time.  I believe he did.  He came to comfort her and show her the way to
Rainbow Bridge.

Sandee, please greet Sandy when she arrives with Giz.  She'll be the
beautiful little cinnamon/butterscotch with the absolutely most precious
white face.  She had this hanging tube-type hammock that she always folded
herself into to sleep.  It is blue denim on the outside with tan fuzz on
the inside.  Can you please make sure she has one of those?  Thanks.

I love you, Sandy.  I'm sorry it had to happen this way.  But Giz will take
care of you, and you'll never have to suffer again.  Take care, sweetheart.

Thank you FMLers for letting me get this off my chest (again).  I wasn't
ready to lose another one.

But....are we ever ready?

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus two Herdlings
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, & Rootie the beagle
Fresh from the pain of losing Sandy. We love you, sweetheart.
Still missing Gizmo. We love you, too, baby.

Check out the Herd's website at:
 http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/7414/index.html