From:
"Long, Katharine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:47:36 -0400
I would appreciate anyone correcting the following information if any of it
is incorrect.  I've been disturbed with a couple of recent posts about mast
cell tumors.  First of all, I don't believe it can be determined that it IS
a mast cell tumor just by sight.  I believe a pathologist needs to look at
a tissue sample.  This would require a biopsy or, better yet, removal.

The statement that has most bothered me was from a couple of days ago where
someone said you don't need to worry about removing them unless there are a
lot.  I sent a private message to the poster but they have apparently
chosen not to address this statement publicly (or to me privately), so I
felt I should say something.  My understanding is that, if not removed,
they can grown into the body and cause internal problems.  Is this correct?
That is what I have been led to understand.  If this is correct, then
they should all be removed, regardless of the number of them present.  To
further strengthen this, I also understand that, after a diagnosed mast
cell tumor, a ferret should have a CBC every six months to insure that
there is not internal activity from the tumor.  Remember that a mast cell
tumor CAN be malignant (cancer) so I think it is in the ferrets best
interest to have them removed.  They should not be taken lightly.

A mast cell tumor doesn't have a definitive appearance.  When Lany had
one, it simply looked like a little sore with a scab.  The reason I had it
checked out was because of its location, not its appearance.  It was on her
belly, a strange place to have a battle wound or other sore.  Even her vet
didn't think it was a mast cell tumor from its appearance, but saw enough
abnormal about it from a scraping that he decided to remove it.  It was
confirmed by a pathologist to be a mast cell tumor.  A few months later, I
took her in for an ugly thing on her shoulder, positive it was another mast
cell tumor.  It was removed and was NOT a mast cell tumor, just some
innocuous growth.

Blood Panels: It is recommended that ferrets over 3 years of age have
6-month check-ups, with bloodwork done every other visit, assuming all is
well.

Please, please don't use this list to diagnose illnesses, prescribe drugs,
and give drug dosages!  This cannot be said enough.  We are, for the most
part, ferrets owners, not veterinarians, and cannot take the place of
proper medical care.  It's fine to get input from the list but don't let
that be your only course of action and don't let the advice from this list
alone make your decision.  If you think your ferret may need to go to the
vet, it probably should.

Katharine