From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:44:34 -0600
Young ferrets don't make as much noise as teenaged ferrets, in our
experience.  We have a few rambunctious kids who hiss, 'pant', and cluck.
They usually make these noises as they are racing around chasing each other
or dancing.  They seem to be expressions of excitement or interest.

"Dooking" is a term that dignifies the sound.  The sound is clucking and it
is much like what chickens do.

"Wardancing" is a term that dignifies the activity.  The activity is
leaping about and generally seems to involve falling off the sofa backward.

I've noticed that they learn sounds from each other.  At first, only Attila
'panted' (a quick, indrawn breathy sound) while he was playing.  Now almost
all of 'em do it.