From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:09:55 EDT
Hi everyone!  With the current discussion on Lupron, I felt that I needed
to interject my two cents worth, since my angel baby, Pato, aka "The Man!",
is on Lupron.

This is a shameless plug for my vet, I will be the first to admit.  I know
you all remember my panic when Pato was first diagnosed.  Then, calling
around trying to find a price (with a vet who was skilled) that didn't send
me into shock.  I'm glad I decided to stay with Dr. Folland.  Dr. Folland
in Centerville, UT (next door to Bountiful, where I live, and literally 20
minutes or so from Salt Lake City) is a wonderful, knowledgable man.  He
loves ferrets, and it shows.  And he knows what he's talking about, and
treats me with intelligence too.  (Quite a feat considering I've been
known to break into tears when I had to leave Hubert for an xray and
transtracheal wash......or Snowball with his mast cell tumor........
or......)  We had quite a discussion, and at this time have decided that
using Lupron is in Pato's best interest as he doesn't feel surgery is
indicated at this time, and proceeded to explain to me WHY.  He admitted to
enjoying doing the surgery (As surgeries go, I f!  ind it a FUN surgery.
But I won't operate on a pet unless it's necessary just so I can have FUN!)
too and even discussed the things that can come up, like the vena cava
issue.  But, he pointed out to me Pato's response to the Lupron, and
several other diagnostic things that all show improvement.

As for my layman's eyes.....Pato's got more energy, the agression is GONE,
the hair is GROWING BACK, he isn't dribbling, and that weird thick skin on
his neck is NORMAL.  He gave me his professional opinion that at this time
it wasn't an adrenal tumor, but some other funky sounding adrenal condition
thingy.  He is keeping a close eye on Pato, and we go back in a couple of
weeks.  Pato's shot, plus a very thorough follow up diagnostic exam was
$52.00.  And, he feels we can skip the intensive exams after the first few,
so I will be charged even less for the shot.  He told me that at the first
indication that Pato needs the surgery, he'll tell me, but just doesn't
believe in operating on all cases.  All I know is that my baby is
improving, loves the vet (and there have been vet's - and other people too,
for that matter - that he doesn't like.  I've found his opinions to be
"right on the money" as it were.) I actually see hope that I might be able
to have my precious, precious "p!  orcelain ferret" for a good while yet!

But, just to be on the safe side, my husband Luis, (otherwise known as
Ricky Ricardo) is kindly letting me put some of his artwork on eBay for
sale so I can build up a "just in case account" for my babies.  If you like
ceramics, especially eclectic and unusual ones, look up cgarcia737 (me) and
my auctions.  Luis has a talent, and these items are inspired from ancient
aztec artwork.  He has handpainted and styled them all himself.  Just
proves to me that he, too, loves "those Putos" as he calls them.........

Dooks to All!

And please, everyone, say a prayer for Maggie's Miss Stella.  Maggie woke
up to her in a seizure with what is apparently insulinoma.  She is taking
excellent care of her, of course.  I just pray that she isn't needed at
the Bridge..............