From:
"c.a.g." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:12:32 -0400
Hello!
My name is Christy and I have recently become the proud mommy of a
little ferret that a friend bought then realized she could not deal
with unfortunatly.  The little rascals name is Spookey however I have
affectionately been calling her Nipper because she has a very bad habit
of being very nippy and rough in her play.

Other then that she is simpley a little angel.  She always uses her litter
box and has yet to have an accident.  I only had to tell her a few times
that clawing at the rug was not permited and simpley punished her by
putting her in her cage for a time out when I found her doing so she
quickly realised that she would rather be out playing and so stoped clawing
at the rug and has nopt done so for a while.

However as I said before my little monster has a problem with biteing and
the bruses on my feet, hands, and arms can really tell the tale.  She does
not bite all the time only when she is insane play mode.  I have made alot
of use of the Ferret FAQ in figureing out how to teach her things and to
learn more about ferrets in general.  However it has not helped me much in
teaching her how to stop biteing and because of this I have to keep her in
the cage more then I would like because my poor toes can only take being
attacked by her teeth so many times in one sitting.  I have tried all sorts
of things like putting bitter apple on myself to which when she found it
there she actually licked it off!!!  Another friend suggested to put pepper
spray on my hands and let her bite them..  tried that..  she must like
things hot cause she again licked it all off!!!  I'm currently trying to
find a Vet to take her to just in case there is something wrong and that
is why she bites so much but I have a feeling that she is only doing it
to play.  So the second thing I have to ask is if anyone living in the
Philadelphia PA area knows of a good Vet that has experiance with ferrets
please let me know.  And if anyone has any suggestion on how to break my
little nipper of her bad habits I would also greatly appreciate it.

thanks!
christy
--
Christy Gatto