From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:32:04 -0700
>From:    "Jeffery A. Haremski" <[log in to unmask]>
>My local pharmacy has been trying to fill my prescription for a week now,
>and they are being told the manufacturer is having difficulties making it,
>and it is back-ordered.  They don't know when it can be expected back...

Hi Jeffery.  I haven't heard any murmurings on the Ferret Adrenal
Insulinoma Mailing List (FAIML) I moderate about a shortage of Proglycem,
and I recently ordered a bottle.  I got a great tip through FAIML on a
source for Proglycem.  I use the commercial Proglycem (diaxozide) made by
Baker Morton.  It is chocolate/mint flavor (Wally likes it!) and comes
pre-mixed 50 mg/ml in a 30 ml bottle (a *much* better deal than having it
mixed by the pharmacist).  Anyway, Goods Drugs sells it for $95.12/bottle
plus $3.50 shipping.  They're in Texas and the shipment took five days to
get to Seattle, but you can ask them to ship it priority (shouldn't cost
more) and that should cut the time to three or four days.  Fed-ex or UPS,
whichever they use, is very pricey, around $15.  The commercial Proglycem
is well preserved so is fine in transit; also, I've called the company and
talked with my vet and been assured the preservatives shouldn't harm
ferrets (it's used with babies).  I also got a better deal on pediapred
through them.  My pharmacist tech in Seattle, who I adore (she goes to vet
conferences!) couldn't beat the diaxozide price by a long shot, with their
wholesale price at $120.  Goods sells it much less than I've seen it
elsewhere.

Their e-mail is "Goods Pharmacy" <[log in to unmask]>; they also have a
website, and their 800 number is 1-800-491-0074.  I spoke with Patricia and
she was very nice.  For .25 each they'll send the little screw on blue caps
that should come with syringes that fit tightly through the cap's opening,
making drawing out the drug easier.

By the way, there are two ferrets on FAIML who have reacted to this drug.
One can only get a drop; the other collapsed after each doseage so was
taken off it.  Another fur kid had problems with appetite loss.  Most
seem to do well on it, though, including our Wally.

Good luck!  Lynn