From:
Jerri Carel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:45:13 -0400
My Asthma was also adult onset and of course, my Dr. made the same
suggestion, to get rid of the animals (dog, cat, 11 ferrets) which I
promptly advised would not happen.  I am definately allergic to the cat.
I have not been specifically tested for the ferrets.

Funny how they make these suggestions without even knowing if the animal,
its dander, mites, etc even have an effect on you.  As it turned out for
me, my asthma was caused by a gastro esophogeal reflux (sp?) thing - but
once you have asthma, you have it and other things can inflame the
situation.

I co-exist comfortably with my animals though - sometimes with no
medications at all, and other times, like spring, by taking 2 inhalers
twice a day.  I vacume regularly, I don't let the cat sleep in my bedroom
anymore, I dust more often.  I do not bath my ferrets amymore often than
previously.

HOWEVER, this said, don't underestimate the seriousness of asthma.  A
couple minutes of not being able to get air can have serious consequences.
I'd suggest finding out what your triggers are.

Best of Luck to you.
--
Jerri Carel
Louisville, KY